Estate Planning Checklist
If you want to know how to save as much money as possible, use our checklist while planning your estate.
- Make sure that every titled asset transfers or pays on death.
- Make sure that every financial asset pays on death.
- Make sure you have a will even if you set up your stuff to pay or transfer on death.
- Make sure that there is a way to access your stuff.
- Electronic bank access to determine if it is worth filing probate papers to access $25 or $6,142; to download checks; to verify deposits; to see if the last payroll check paid for comp, PTO or vacation time.
- Email access to reset the username or passwords for electronic banking.
- Cell phone access to reset email passwords via text.
- Portable computer to list shortcuts where things may be found.
- Internet provider to view the history.
- ATM card pins to check bank balances.
- Make sure that you have a back-up person (contingent beneficiary) if the first person to receive your assets dies before you do.